We are a true zoo with Lions, Tigers and Bears. We have Zebra, Bison, Elk, baboons, gibbons and many other animals from around the world.
We have a large number of birds and a reptile house. The Hall of Small is an immersive insect exhibit with hands on interactive opportunities.
We have about 400 animals of about 200 species. We also have 27 acres of landscaped grounds with many interesting plants and a walk through greenhouse.
The mission of the Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo is to help people develop a sustainable relationship with nature. In so doing, the Zoo shall provide for the recreation and education of the people, the conservation of wildlife, and the discovery of biological knowledge.
Who We Are
We are a true zoo with Lions, Tigers and Bears. We have Zebra, Bison, Elk, baboons, gibbons and many other animals from around the world. We have a large number of birds and a reptile house. The Hall of Small is an immersive insect exhibit with hands on interactive opportunities. We have about 400 animals of about 200 species. We also have 27 acres of landscaped grounds with many interesting plants and a walkthrough greenhouse.
Species of Animals
Species of Plants
- Have A Great Time
- Be Kind To The Animals – If you harass the animals or do something to intentionally harm an animal, you will be escorted out of the zoo.
- Do Not Chase the Birds
- Don’t Litter – Trash containers are provide for you.
- Stay On The Sidewalks and in designated areas.
- DO NOT FEED The Animals – They are on special diets.
- Do Not Throw Objects into the animal areas, habitats or water.
- Please Obey all safety rules when riding the boat.
- Pets Are Not Allowed
- Speak Nicely – Vulgar, profane or disrespectful language is not allowed.
- Radios, Bicycles and Skateboards are not allowed.
- Balloons and Straws are not allowed in the zoo. They harm the animals.
- Alcoholic Beverages, Weapons and Illicit Drugs are not allowed to be brought into the zoo.
- Please do not bring food and beverages into the zoo.
- Observe all safety and courtesy rules at ZooOasis.
If you have questions, please ask any of our friendly staff. We will be happy to assist you.
What To Do!
Have Lots of Fun!
See some of the world’s wonders! Enjoy the picturesque and relaxing setting The Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo has to offer with over 400 animals and thousands of plant species!
Look & Listen!
The naturalistic habitats where our animals live provide a place for the animals to feel safe and comfortable. If you do not see your favorite animal, be patient and wait for the animal to emerge. You may want to check back later.
Remember that animals are wild even in captivity. Make sure you watch your step. Parents should keep an on their children and do not allow them to venture off the walking paths, cross barriers or fence lines, nor touch the animals.
Don’t Feed The Animals!
Most of the animals housed at The Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo are on special diets. Please do not feed them unless signs or our zoo keepers tell you otherwise. At the lagoon viewing deck, we do provide dispensers for nutritional food for the fish, ducks, swans and turtles. Please understand that when this food is gone, the animals have had their fill.
Have A Party!
Reunions, Company Picnics, Concerts, Cookouts and more are ideal occasions for renting the Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo Pavilion. For more information about this outstanding venue, contact Carin Collins, Zoo Office Manager.
Zoological Society, Concessions, Gift Shop